---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: Fwd: Unable to access UKM wifi. DO NOT INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE.
You may have found that you cannot access UKM's wifi network through the "TETAMU-UKM" wifi SSID. Since the beginning of August 2011, Pusat Teknologi Maklumat (PTM) of UKM has enforced all users of Macintosh and Windows operating systems to install the CyberGatekeeper agent before users can access the UKM wifi network. DO NOT INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE ON YOUR COMPUTER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!
The reason PTM-UKM will give you is that this software agent is necessary to ensure that your computer has the latest operating system updates and antivirus updates. THIS IS NOT TRUE AND TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!
Your computer already has an automatic updating software such as "Windows Update" or "Microsoft Update" to update your operating system. Your antivirus software also already has an automatic update function to regularly update your virus definitions. So by right, you have no need to install an additional CyberGatekeeper agent.
Other points to consider:
> No public access wifi provider such as Jaring Hotspot or Streamyx hotspot needs you to install software to access their wifi hotspot. You only need a username and password.
> No other college, hotel, shopping mall, or cafe needs you to install software to access their wifi network. You only need to know the wifi SSID.
> Even TM, Maxis, Celcom, or Digi do not need you to install software to access their network. You only need the right sim and have enough handphone credit.
> You CANNOT access the UKM wifi network from your Symbian/Blackberry/Android handphone, pda, or iPad since you CANNOT install the CyberGatekeeper software on these devices
> The lack of documentation or technical manualsn on the CyberGatekeeper software on the manufacturer's website hide its full range of functions and motives.
SO WHY DO YOU NEED TO INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE?!
Here's why PTM wants you to install it: the installed CyberGatekeeper agent is a "trojan horse" software [see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing) ] that will allow network adimistrators to do the following:
> Limit and control your access to the Internet from UKM
> Monitor which user has visited which website
> See what you have downloaded or posted online
> Gain access to the files in your harddrive
> Gain remote access to your computer
> Log your keystrokes
All of the things above can ONLY be done when you willingly install unknown software from the Internet. So ask yourself "Do you want to allow someone else access to your computer and look at everything you are doing online"? In other words PTM feels it is their right to INVADE YOUR PRIVACY while you are using UKM network facilities. DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO CONTINUE!!!
What you can do:
1. If you have installed the CyberGatekeeper agent, UNINSTALL IT IMMEDIATELY!!! After that, do a complete virus scan of your computer.
2. Write to the Dean of your faculty and complain that you do not want to have to install unknown software to access the internet from your own computer.
> Dekan, Fakulti Ekonomi dan Pengurusan: email@example.com
> Dekan, Fakulti Farmas: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Dekan, Fakulti Kejuruteraan dan Alam Bina: email@example.com
> Dekan, Fakulti Pendidikan: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Dekan, Fakulti Pengajian Islam: email@example.com
> Dekan, Fakulti Pergigian: firstname.lastname@example.org>
3. Write to the PTM Bahagian Rangkaian (email@example.com) and the Director of PTM (firstname.lastname@example.org) and complain that you do not want to have to install unknown software to access the internet from your own computer.
4. Fill in PTM's user satisfaction survey or "Soal Selidik Kepuasan Pelanggan PTM" (http://www.ukm.my/soalselidikptm) and tell them how unsatisfied you are with these new restrictions.
4. Talk to your academic supervisor and complain that you do not want to have to install unknown software to access the internet from your own computer.
5. File a complaint on UKM's "Sistem Maklum Balas dan Aduan Dalaman Pelajar" (https://smp.ukm.my/sadp/) and complain that you do not want to have to install unknown software to access the internet from your own computer.
By doing the above, you can pressure UKM to keep Internet access free and unrestricted, and force PTM to stop invading your privacy.
REMEMBER: YOU HAVE PAID FOR THE RIGHT TO USE UKM COMPUTER AND NETWORK FACILITIES. DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO PRIVACY UNDER THE DISGUISE OF SO-CALLED "SECURITY".